Letter from a Christina School District resident:
Here is the Smyrna district financial report for last year [Click Here for Document].
They had 5279 students. The report is a bit tough to follow because expenses appear to be split by the type of money used to pay it (state, local, federal). A couple of things to note:
- They received $7,675,732 in “equalization” funds (Page 1). This is MORE than they collected in local taxes (page 3 at the top “Taxes for Current Year Operations” $6,836,038.
- Yet, their property tax rate for the New Castle County residents is about 2/3 of CSD.
- That equalization funding comes from you and me.
- Why can’t CSD get some of that vs a referendum, especially since Smyrna pays such a low tax rate?
Beyond that, the report shows total expenses of $65,637,146 on page 10. That includes some capital expenditure and some debt service.
- Divide that by the 5279 students and it comes to about $12,433/student.
- That is in line with what the charters are spending and far below what CSD is spending.
- CSD can’t use the “charters are special” excuse.
They are overspending opposite another district.